Roof replacement is one of those tasks that you won’t know what to expect until it’s happening, but that’s why we are here. We’re going to go over what to expect when you get a roof replacement and things you should know about the noise level of your roof replacement. It’s almost inevitable during a roof replacement that you’re going to have a lot of noise. This is more of a concern for more families than for others, but it’s best to determine what your action plan will be once your roof is installed and replaced. Let’s dive into this and go through six things you should know about roof replacement and how noisy it will be.
Things You Should Know About The Noise Level Of A Roof Replacement
Roof replacements are very loud and there’s almost nothing that can be done about this, so that means that you’ll have to prepare any way you can for the loud noise. Some families make different decisions when it comes to this because it depends on what your family can handle or what they want to handle. This information is presented by our roofing company who specializes in roof repair in Winston Salem NC.
Here are some things you’ll want to remember and take into account when it comes to the noise level of roof replacement.
- How Long The Process Will Take: The first thing you should know is that roof replacements can take anywhere from three to five days to complete. This means that the noise, workers, and materials will all be like this for multiple days at a time. Knowing how long this process will take can help you make better decisions when it comes to what you’ll be doing during the time your roof replacement is happening.
- There Will Be Noise: Now, this isn’t anything new, but during a roof replacement there will be a lot of noise. This is just to take into consideration because ultimately you won’t know how much noise until it’s happening. However, if you have a two or three-story home then the noise may be muffled for the first floor, which ensures that the level of the home will be much quieter than the rest. It’s just important to remember that there will be noise so this might make you make some changes during those few days.
- Think Of Your Children: One of the biggest problems that people encounter while getting a roof replacement is their children. The noise will most definitely affect children, so if this is a concern for you then accommodations should be made. The majority of the noise will be during daylight hours, but if you have a small child that naps, then this could most definitely affect that.
- Consider Your Pets: Some pets are perfectly fine with noises, while others don’t act as best with noises. Loud noises and banging can trigger animals that have anxiety, it can also make dogs bark, and overall it can just be extra noisy for the animals putting them in a bit of distress.
- You Can Leave Or Stay: You can live in your home during a roof replacement, but for some families that might not be the best option. If you have pets, small children, or just don’t want to be there while the noises are going on then you might want to stay somewhere else in the meantime. Because the process only takes three to five days, you could stay at a family member’s home or even a hotel while the construction is being done.
- Eliminate Some Noise: You can eliminate a bit of noise by removing things from your walls. If there are objects on your walls then they are more likely to make a lot more noise when banging and drilling are going on. These vibrations make things secured to the walls move around which can cause extra noise.
Can A Roof Be Done In One Day?
As we stated above, the average time it takes to do a roof replacement is three to five days, with that being said there is always a possibility of doing it sooner or later than that. It can take anywhere from one day to three weeks. The timeline of how fast things get done with your roof depends on a lot of different factors such as the roof size, the weather, and how many workers total are working on the replacement.
We would recommend not setting your expectations for a one-day roof replacement, but you can always ask the roof replacement company to give you a timeline for how long the process will take. This timeline still might not be accurate before the work begins, but it does give you a bit of a timeline to go off of and to help you make accommodations for the time being.
Process Of Roof Replacement In 8 Steps
Roof replacement can be done in 8 steps and these steps include everything from materials arriving at your home to the final inspection. These steps will help you determine the noise level of each step and this will help plan which days to not be in your home if you decide you do not want to stay there while they are doing construction.
- Roofing materials will get delivered to your home either the night before or the morning of your roof replacement.
- Preparing for the work to be done by moving vehicles and other large items that would be in the way or potentially be damaged.
- Setting up protection for your property is important to ensure that nothing gets damaged during the process.
- Tearing off your old roof is next and this is where some loud noises will start as they rip off materials that made up your old roof.
- Your gutters will be cleaned out before the installation process.
- The team will start installing your roof and this is where the loud noises start.
- Cleaning up after the replacement is done once the entire roof is on and in good condition.
- Inspecting their work is always the last step and this is when they ensure everything is installed properly and ensures that it’s safe for them to leave and for you to enjoy your new roof.
Since we’ve reviewed the main steps in a roof replacement, it’s important to take into account that the loudest parts of this construction job are the removal of the old roof and the installation of the new roof. Every other step may make some noise, but it should not interrupt your daily living at all.
The Bottom Line
Overall, the roof replacement is going to be loud and there’s not much you can do about it. Knowing when the loudest times will be can help you to get out of the house or accommodate your family and pets if needed. Knowing what your options are when it comes to roof replacement is important because the idea is for the family to be completely comfortable during the process, which can take three to five days.
Remember to ask the roof replacement company how long the process is expected to take so that you can plan accordingly. You are allowed to stay in your home during a roof replacement though, but some people prefer not to just because of the amount of noise that will be created. You may be safer if you have a multi-story home as this will help muffle the sounds coming from the roof and allow for the first floor to be much quieter. It’s best to just prepare for the noise and if you have any doubts about staying comfortably during the roof replacement then feel free to stay in a hotel or at a friend/family member’s home for the time being.