As a Kansas City homeowner, your home’s roofs have to be strong enough to withstand the tough conditions and severe winter storms of the city. Also, considering the fact that Kansas experiences all four seasons throughout the year, your roof needs to be versatile and able to handle the intensity of the various seasons.
In this article, we present to you the seven best materials that can be used for your roofing in Kansas. Click here for more information about residential roofing.
This is one of the most popular residential roofing materials in Kansas. Its lifespan is guaranteed to be from 20 to 30 years and its installation is easy. The following are some of the features that make property owners love it.
- Made of fiberglass, asphalt shingles are tough and have the strength to withstand the elements.
- The minerals and asphalt make this roofing material water-resistant.
- Asphalt roofing systems are inexpensive, their installation is easy, and they are relatively lightweight.
- They are attractive with a premium feel. This makes them appear expensive like the cedar or slate materials.
Metal roofing has gained popularity over the last few years due to its reputation for being durable and resistant to environmental factors. The following are some of the reasons why metal roofing is one of the best in Kansas.
- It can help to maintain a cool temperature in the summer due to its effectiveness at reflecting the sun rays.
- A metal roof system is known to be durable, with a lifespan of between 50 and 100 years.
- As years go by, your metal roof, particularly the copper roof, can take on a beautiful greenish patina. Many homeowners find this attractive.
- Customizing steel roofs can be easy to shape and bend at desired angles. This is a feature that is hard to find in many other roofing materials.
This is another common roofing option in Kansas. Tile roofing has the strength to withstand hail, fire, and strong winds. They are unique and are guaranteed to last for at least 50 years because they are resistant to rot and insect damage.
The following are some of the features of tile roofing:
- Tile roofing is great at controlling indoor temperatures, making them energy efficient.
- Unless broken as a result of a heavy impact, the material option for residential roofing does not leak. So, it only requires low maintenance.
- They also come in a variety of colors and styles. This gives you many options to pick from.
Slate roofing is a beautiful, high-quality, and durable roofing option that is made from natural stone. While it is considered to be more expensive than many other roofing options, it offers exceptional value. The following are some of the features that make slate roofing a great option:
- The beautiful appearance of this material option is one of the main reasons why homeowners love it. They come in many different colors including green, gray, red, purple, black, and a combination of several colors.
- You can expect a slate roof to last for at least 100 years.
- Slate roofs are able to withstand fire in the event of fire outbreaks from many sources.
- They are eco-friendly, having positive effects on the environment.
Rubber roofing material is a mix of different materials with Ethylene Propylene Diene Terpolymer (commonly known as EPDM) which are eco-friendly building materials. Known to be strong, energy-efficient, and affordable, the rubber roofing is one of the most exceptional roofing options that homeowners consider for their rooftops.
The following features are what makes them one of the best materials for residential roofing in your Kansas home:
- They are cost-effective.
- The installation of rubber roofing is fast
- The weight is light and therefore easy to carry
- They are quite durable, sometimes lasting 50 years and more.
- The maintenance is easy, and so is the repair
- Highly resistant to mold, mildew, pest, moisture, and fire
- Eco-friendly, renewable, and recyclable.
- Able to withstand severe weather and temperature changes.
These are made from wood such as redwood, cedar, or pine. There are many properties that make the wooden shakes a preferred material for homeowners; the following are some of them:
- The natural look of wooden shakes gives your home an elegant touch. For example, wood shakes can be made of the western red cedar which is a tough species of tree that can give the shakes a rugged look, and provide it with depth and texture. Wooden shakes are known to gradually turn into a beautiful gray color, giving your home a traditional feel.
- When compared to asphalt shingles, wooden shakes are better at providing insulation. This helps to boost your home’s energy efficiency, thereby reducing the cooling and heating costs of your home.
- This roofing option is highly resistant to wind and hail. They can prevent cracks and leaks, and are also able to withstand storm damage. These abilities make them durable.
The invention of polymer roofing was to address the drawbacks of some other roofing materials such as tile or slate. While no roofing solution is perfect, polymer roofing appears to be the closest to perfection.
- They are highly sustainable because they are made of recycled materials.
- When compared to most of the other roofing options, the polymer roofing materials are extremely durable.
- The installation is easy, and so is their maintenance.
- They can be made to mimic wood and other roofing material options.
- Their resistance to severe weather is high.
There are many material options that can be used for your home in Kansas. It is important that you remember that the secret to getting the best roofing material is to have good knowledge of the pros and cons of the most popular options. Choosing the wrong material for your roofing could result in your replacing the roof earlier than necessary or you making expensive repairs very frequently.
Above all, consulting a professional roofing company will do you a lot of good when making your decision on the best material to go for. To get a list of the best roofing companies in Kansas, check out Angie’s List.